Sunday 25 June 2017

31) Aberafan Shopping Centre


Prior to my visit to Prague it would never have occurred to me that I might make a sketch of the shopping centre. Yet it seemed an obvious thing to do after I’d started sketching the town again after my return. The shopping centre is probably the most obvious result of the town centre redevelopment in the 1970s. When you look at books of old photographs of Port Talbot centre, it’s easy to become critical when you see the buildings that were lost. However, talking to people who lived in the town at the time, it is a fact that a level crossing not far from where the shopping centre stands now used to cause huge traffic problems in Station Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...