Saturday 1 July 2017

64) Checkouts in Aldi, Taibach


I wanted to sketch this one because it illustrates a change which has happened in terms of shopping in Port Talbot. When I first moved here, Tescos was the only ‘big’ supermarket in town. Yes, there was a Coop Pioneer store in Sandfields, but that was a bus ride away. When Tesco built their new store in the 1990s, they were really the only game in town. However, a significant proportion of that game has been taken away by an Aldi store which opened in Taibach a few years ago. I just wanted to make a sketch which illustrated the place, and also gave a hint about the basic problem with Aldi – people buy trolleys full of stuff, and despite the multiple lanes of tills, only one or at most two are ever open. Cuts down costs, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...