Saturday 15 July 2017

81) The 11:49 to London Paddington, Port Talbot Parkway Station

Since 1991, when I passed my driving test, I've always driven back to London and to my family in England, rather than using the train. With a car full of kids it was always a hell of a lot cheaper than the train. Still, for the first several years I lived in Port Talbot the train was very much the preferred option over the National Express coach. It's a funny thing that this is towards the Swansea end of the same stretch of line on which I used to spot trains near West Ealing station, a couple of miles outside the London Paddington Terminal. 

There's been a station here since 1850. In 1984, a couple of years before I first came to Port Talbot, it was renamed Port Talbot Parkway, largely because it had acquired a large car park. A large and very expensive car park, I might add, which I have never seen with more than a very few cars in it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...