Sunday 9 July 2017

74) Pontrhydyfen Aqueduct


This is the other piece of monumental engineering for which Pontrhydyfen is justly famous. While it doesn’t have as many arches as the old railway viaduct (Number 66) Pontrhydyfen Viaduct)Pontrhydyfen Viaduct) and it’s a mottled grey, which I find less appealing than the viaduct’s red brick, this structure really bestrides the village. Add to that the fact that it’s an aqueduct, and you’ve got a very imposing and interesting structure. Researching this post I found a post written in the mid 80s for the schools’ Domesday Project – which explained that it was

built in 1825 to supply water to the Blast Furnaces in Oakwood. It has 4 arches,is 459ft in length,75ft in height and 14ft wide. The bridge cost £16,000 pounds to build. Now it is used for cars and pedestrians. In February 1985 cracks were discovered on the Aqueduct and it was closed, thus cutting off a pedestrian access to Oakwood.”

I didn’t know that cars were ever allowed across – it is very narrow, and I wouldn’t have enjoyed driving across it. I’m delighted to say that the aqueduct seems pretty secure now, and I’ve walked across it many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...