Thursday 27 July 2017

92) Ynys Y Gored - The House on the Hill


Here’s a question for you. Which is the oldest house in this picture? Answer – the one on the hill. I’ll come back to that in a minute. The other houses were built on what used to be the depot of Scott’s the builders. It’s a good location, right by the River Afan, and the houses themselves look very pleasant – far nicer than Scott’s yard used to be. I used to live in Velindre, and I fancy these were being built when we moved away to another part of town. As for the house on the hill, well that was there when I arrived in 1986. In fact, judging by the architectural style, I’d say it was probably built in the late 60s or the 70s. My wife and I nicknamed it Tracy Island after the very similar house on the eponymous island in Thunderbirds. The kids had no idea what we meant. . . until the Thunderbirds revival in the 90s, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...