Saturday 8 July 2017

73) Swansea - London Mile Post, Margam


This mile post was installed in the 19th century when the main Swansea to London Road, now known as the A48, was made into a turnpike. This one just stands by a bus stop, near the corner of the road, minding its own business. It’s one of several still standing, each of which has been grade II listed. I used to think that they were carved stone, but actually this is not the case, since they were all made of cast iron. You can actually find one in the open air Museum of Welsh Life just outside Cardiff. On a personal note, I moved from London in 1986, and although I’m perfectly happy to be living in Port Talbot now, for quite a long time this post did serve as a reminder of just how far away my ‘home’ was. I’ve always liked the look of it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...