Tuesday 18 July 2017

85) Barclay's bank building, Station Road


Yes, dearly beloved, we are back at Station Road again, and back sketching striking buildings again. I will admit that I have painted this Barclay’s Bank building in acrylic in the past. I like this. I like it because it’s a remnant, a reminder of what town High Streets used to look like when I was growing up. If you removed all of the signage, then asked people to guess what kind of commercial premises it was, I bet that most of them would tell you that it’s a bank. The whole thing was doubtless designed to give an air of safety and security, which you can see in the Victorian gothic styling, with those huge masonry window frames etc. When these buildings are all gone – which will happen one day, there will be nothing comparable to them built, and we will all be the poorer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...