Saturday 24 June 2017

1)War Memorial - Talbot Memorial Park - Graphite HB Pencil






This HB pencil sketch is one of the first sketches I made after reading about the Urban Sketching movement. I was still very much experimenting with materials for sketching , and so this was pretty much a case of using what I know - and ordinary pencil. The statue stands on top of the War Memorial in Talbot Memorial Park in Taibach. I made the sketch sitting on a park bench close by. As I was doing so, a young lad approached me, had a good look at it, and then passed judgement with the words - "You quite a good draw-er, aren't you." Thank you very much. 

The memorial itself was rected in 1925; since then names of men of the town who died in the forces in World War II have also been added. It was sculpted by Louis Frederick Roslyn, and was unveiled on 4 July 1925 by Sir William R. Robertson. The park in which it stands was donated to the town by Miss Emily Charlotte Talbot of Margam Castle, and opened to the public in 1926. Currently the memorial is one of Port Talbot's Grade II listed buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...