Saturday 24 June 2017

22) Plate Girder Bridge, Aberavon Docks



I've always had a thing about bridges. This bridge was built in 1903, after a decade in which the docks were massively redeveloped. The structure carried the main road from Aberavon to the docks. It was pedestrianised later, and carried a national cycle route. I used to cycle from my house to the beach, a route which took in this bridge. However at the moment the bridge, despite being a grade II listed building, is closed due to its instability, and urgently needs  work to make it safe for pedestrians and cyclists. Sadly, it’s not clear exactly how the cash strapped council are ioing to fund this.  

As a sketch this scores through being a complete scene, but also, through being the first f my sketches in which I've included the steelworks at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...