Saturday 24 June 2017

21) Station Road , Consitutional Club and figures


What the previous sketch lacked was figures. There is actually one figure walking along the road, but it’s really difficult to see unless you know where to look. This sketch of the Con club includes several figures, and it’s far better for it. It isn’t perfect – I wish I’d decided to edit out the foliage, but it is at least a truthful scene since the trees are there. I mentioned Urban Sketching as a concept and movement in the introduction post. One of the tenets of the movement, enshrined in its manifesto, is a dedication to capturing moments in time, and the figures for me do the trick of making this sketch just that.

You might also notice the figure on the right is cut off by the edge of the sketch. I like the feeling it gives of someone actually walking away off the page, and it's a feature I've used more than once since making this sketch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...