Wednesday 28 June 2017

61) Former St. John's Church, Pontrhydyfen


Any urban sketching expedition can turn out to be a voyage of discovery. Or, to put it another way, I never set out intending to sketch this building. Pontrhydyfen, probably most famous for being the birthplace of Richard Burton, has two remarkably picturesque structures in the shape of its aqueduct, and its viaduct. Those were actually what I set out to sketch on the day that I made this one. There is a road, accessible to pedestrians, which goes across the Aqueduct, and I followed this one away from the centre of Pontrhydyfen, and round the corner, and lo and behold, I came upon this. It was previously St. John’s Church, but now it’s a charming looking residence, and I take my hat off to the people who have converted it. I couldn’t resist sketching it there and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...