Saturday 24 June 2017

2) "Mortal Coil" Statue - Town Centre

This statue is called "Mortal Coil" and it stands in the town centre, between the main post office and the River Afan. This is one of the first sketches that I made in ink, although in this case it's biro, which I've since discovered is actually far from my favourite medium for sketching. This is also one of the first sketches to which I applied a watercolour wash. I've done this from time to time, as you'll see, but I've never really been entirely satisfied with the results - I personally think I just don't have the colour sense to do this sort of thing very well. 

It was sculpted by Sebastien Boyesen, who also sculpted Man of Steel, at the other end of Station Road. It pays tribute to the metalworkers who have been so important to the town. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...