Saturday 24 June 2017

6) Plaza CInema

When I first moved to Port Talbot in 1986, the Plaza was the only working cinema in town, although there were several other buildings which had once been cinemas but either stood derelict, or had been transformed into different types of premises. I remember watching "Back to the Future on its glorious big screen" not long after I moved here. It's still another of my favourite buildings in the town, and one which I've also painted in acrylic.

The Plaza, a glorious Art Deco building which was opened in 1940, has been unoccupied since closing in 1999. For several years there have been discussions in the council about refurbishing the building, possibly as an Arts Centre, but I don't believe that any positive action has yet been taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...